[RFC 0/4] TI LCDC DRM driver

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 22:15:26 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2013 10:16:10 Dave Airlie wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Updated version of DRM driver for TI LCD Controller.  Since the initial
>> > version of the patch, which only supported TFP410 DVI output, I've added
>> > an output driver for LCD panels (for example, LCD3 or LCD7 cape for the
>> > beagle-bone), and initial support for HDMI output via NXP TDA19988 HDMI
>> > encoder (via i2c encoder-slave output driver).
>> >
>> > At this point, I think the basic lcdc drm driver plus TFP410 DVI output
>> > (first patch) is in reasonable shape (barring potential rename, if lcdc
>> > is too generic of a name... but I was not feeling creative enough yet to
>> > pick a new name).
>>
>> I'd like at least tilcdc :-)
>
> So do I :-) The Renesas LCD controller is also called LCDC, and they called
> the fbdev driver sh_mobile_lcdcfb. tilcdc isn't *that* long in comparison :-)

next version will be 'tilcdc' :-)

I would appreciate some thoughts about more generic devicetree lcd
panel parameters for the (ti)lcdc_panel patch..  from a functional
standpoint, I think the lcd panel support part is also pretty much
ready to go (I've added backlight support since the last version I
sent), but I'm not really happy with the DT bindings for that because
they seem to me a bit too hw specific, but I'm not really sure how
they should look.

Fwiw, on the CDF <-> KMS end of things, I'm sort of thinking the i2c
encoder slave is not too far off.. just needs to be a bit decoupled
from i2c.

BR,
-R