Early kernel hang with big DTB appended

Tomasz Figa t.figa at samsung.com
Fri Jan 4 05:18:56 EST 2013

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply.

On Thursday 03 of January 2013 21:48:05 Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm observing strange behavior when booting 3.8-rc1 and -rc2 with
> > appended DTB. The kernel hangs very early when the DTB is bigger than
> > some threshold somewhere around 24 KiB.
>
> What is the address where you load your zImage?

We are using uImages built with same parameters as those used in simple
'make uImage', just with a DTB appended to zImage before running mkimage
on it.

By default the load address is set to 0x40008000, where 0x40000000 is DRAM
base.

> What if you load it, say, at an offset of 16MB from the start of RAM?
> Not that this is a fix, but at least that would help isolate the issue.

Yes, it indeed helps. I tried with shifting the load address by 16 MiB to
0x41008000 (by adjusting mkimage parameters) and it now boots fine.

Best regards,
--
Tomasz Figa
Samsung Poland R&D Center