arm NO_IRQ = -1 - zynq axi_ethernet driver

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:58:11 EST 2013

On 01/03/2013 07:47 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi Grand, Russell, Arnd, Olof and Rob,
>
> I am getting one problem with axi_ethernet driver because I want to remove
> NO_IRQ from axi_ethernet driver because NO_IRQ was setup to 0 and
> removed from microblaze long time ago.
> Some patches from reference.
> "microblaze: Change NO_IRQ to 0"
> sha1: 6c7a2676f594ca9a30203b4fd5dc26b53682cffe
> and
> "microblaze: Remove NO_IRQ from architecture"
> sha1: 18e3b1075b1bc4a6027a6612fe70a5c81c209ec7
>
> but we can also use this driver on arm Zynq platform.
> It is easy to add
> #ifndef NO_IRQ
> #define NO_IRQ 0
> #endif
> to the driver to cover Microblaze case but it will be just workaround.
>
> From patches description NO_IRQ shouldn't be used by any driver
> + from Grant description
>
> "As has been discussed many times[1], Using NO_IRQ set to anything other
> than 0 is bug waiting to happen since many drivers follow the pattern
> "if (!irq)" for testing whether or not an irq has been set."
>
> + link
> [1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/21/221
>
> Was there any attempt to remove NO_IRQ from ARM?
> Any problem to do it?

It's not removed, but we've trimmed it out of most things. It appears
that drivers are mostly not using it other than powerpc drivers. It is
not really necessary to remove it from the arch. Drivers should simply
check for (irq <= 0) for error cases. I'm not sure if there are any
platforms left using irq 0 as a valid irq.

Rob