arm NO_IRQ = -1 - zynq axi_ethernet driver

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Thu Jan 3 08:47:08 EST 2013

Hi Grand, Russell, Arnd, Olof and Rob,

I am getting one problem with axi_ethernet driver because I want to remove
NO_IRQ from axi_ethernet driver because NO_IRQ was setup to 0 and
removed from microblaze long time ago.
Some patches from reference.
"microblaze: Change NO_IRQ to 0"
sha1: 6c7a2676f594ca9a30203b4fd5dc26b53682cffe
and
"microblaze: Remove NO_IRQ from architecture"
sha1: 18e3b1075b1bc4a6027a6612fe70a5c81c209ec7

but we can also use this driver on arm Zynq platform.
It is easy to add
#ifndef NO_IRQ
#define NO_IRQ 0
#endif
to the driver to cover Microblaze case but it will be just workaround.

>From patches description NO_IRQ shouldn't be used by any driver
+ from Grant description

"As has been discussed many times[1], Using NO_IRQ set to anything other
than 0 is bug waiting to happen since many drivers follow the pattern
"if (!irq)" for testing whether or not an irq has been set."

+ link
[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/21/221

Was there any attempt to remove NO_IRQ from ARM?
Any problem to do it?

Thanks,
Michal

--