Multi-platform, and secure-only ARM errata workarounds

Marc Dietrich marvin24 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 28 08:58:05 EST 2013

Am Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2013, 10:42:27 schrieb Stephen Warren:
> On 02/27/2013 02:03 AM, Marc Dietrich wrote:

> >> So a distro will certainly update the kernel.
> >>
> >> But updating a bootloader would be very unusual, I believe.
> >
> > mmh? Every time I update to a new distro release, the bootloader gets also
> > updated - even on arm, e.g.
> > ftp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/u/u-boot-linaro lists four
> > version of uboot - one for each supported distro release. I know for
> > closed embedded device this is different, but that's not our target.
>
> I have no idea why that package exists or what it is. It clearly doesn't
> install U-Boot on the device when the package is installed, or anyone
> using an AC100 would already be running U-Boot not our binary
> bootloader, right?

yes, you are right - it's left to user to break its board. I somehow missed
this.

> >> Also, I hope that upstream U-Boot is never going to support the bizarre
> >> "Tegra partition table" cruft that our "fastboot" bootloader supports,
> >> so you'll end up completely re-programming the flash (BCT, bootloader,
> >> partition table, all filesystems) if you want to switch to U-Boot. That
> >> seems like a fair chunk for the installer to own, but I guess if you're
> >> comfortable with doing that, I won't complain.
> >
> > Yes, that a huge pile of work and people are working on this already. One
> > the other hand, why (if not for upgrade use) do we have u-boot support
> > for all these legacy boards?
>
> Mainly because I didn't want to use our binary bootloader when
> developing or testing kernel support for the AC100, I think:-)
>
> But yes, I would support all AC100 general Linux usage switching to U-Boot.
>
> I think what I'll do when Tegra is converted to multi-platform is:
>
> a) The WARs will be disabled in the kernel; no choice there really.
>
> b) I've already submitted patches to U-Boot to implement the WARs there.
>
> c) Everyone will need to update to the latest U-Boot:-(
>
> d) For people wanting to continue running our binary bootloader (which
> only implements 1 of the 3 WARs in question in the latest code, and I
> have no idea if it even did that when the AC100 bootloader binary was
> compiled), they'll need to create a small stub binary that implements
> the WARs and prepend this to the zImage. I can help create this if
> people need. Or, you can chain-load U-Boot. I've filed bugs against our
> binary bootloader, so hopefully within a few years or something, new
> products won't need this stub!

I don't want to drive this thread further off topic. I just like to add that
the AC100 support is purly community driven. It is planed that we can use both
bootloaders (fastboot and u-boot) with a 3.1 kernel (downstream nvidia based).
In this situation, the user can upgrade his bootloader to u-boot and later
install a 3.8 kernel based on mainline. At 3.10 kernel version times, all
users are expected to have u-boot installed, whatever u-boot version is
required then.

Marc