Multi-platform, and secure-only ARM errata workarounds

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:00:08 EST 2013

On 02/27/2013 03:03 AM, Marc Dietrich wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2013, 09:39:15 schrieb Stephen Warren:
>>>
>>> personally, I have no problem to require a certain u-boot version for a
>>> given kernel. From a distro point of view, you will likely update the
>>> bootloader/kernel on a distro update anyway.
>>
>> So a distro will certainly update the kernel.
>>
>> But updating a bootloader would be very unusual, I believe.
>
> mmh? Every time I update to a new distro release, the bootloader gets also
> updated - even on arm, e.g. ftp://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/u/u-boot-linaro lists four version of uboot - one for each supported distro
> release. I know for closed embedded device this is different, but that's not
> our target.

There is a package of u-boot bootloaders, but they are not installed by
the OS. On ubuntu, installing a kernel only writes the boot.scr script.
There is an assumption that u-boot will go and read this. So we already
have some requirements on u-boot which would require at least a u-boot
environment update. I guess updating the environment is easier than
u-boot itself, but that probably depends on the platform.

Rob