Multi-platform, and secure-only ARM errata workarounds

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Tue Feb 26 06:11:30 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:48:06AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2013, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > There is no easy way to detect whether Linux booted in secure mode,
> > > unless we add some information in the DT. But I wouldn't add S vs NS
> > > information, rather which errata need to be enabled by the kernel.
> >
> > Another difficulty - parsing the DT is done later while some workarounds
> > are enabled before the MMU (or require the MMU to be disabled
> > temporarily).
>
> Can we do it easily after detecting the machine_desc? Maybe we could
> add a bit mask of errata to the struct.

On DT platforms we detect the machine_desc after the MMU has been
initialised. Some errata workarounds currently go to __v7_setup and many
of them can't be enabled from non-secure mode. You would need to
simulate a lower power mode or reset to briefly disable the MMU.

Usually the workaround (setting implementation defined bits) is needed
for secondary CPUs as well, but at least at that point we have more
information.

--
Catalin