too many timer retries happen when do local timer swtich with broadcast timer

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Fri Feb 22 06:02:48 EST 2013

On Friday 22 February 2013 04:01 PM, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:24:00AM +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
>>> BTW, Lorenzo off-list mentioned to me about warning in boot-up
>>> which I missed while testing your patch. It will take bit more
>>> time for me to look into it and hence thought of reporting it.
>>>
>>> [    2.186126] ------------[ cut here ]------------
>>> [    2.190979] WARNING: at kernel/time/tick-broadcast.c:501
>>> tick_broadcast_oneshot_control+0x1c0/0x21c()
>>
>> Which one is that? tick_broadcast_pending or tick_force_broadcast_mask ?
>
> It is the tick_force_broadcast_mask and I think that's because on all
> systems we are testing, the broadcast timer IRQ is a thundering herd,
> all CPUs get out of idle at once and try to get out of broadcast mode
> at more or less the same time.

So the issue comes ups only when the idle state used where CPU wakeup
more or less at same time as Lorenzo mentioned. I have two platforms
where I could test the patch and see the issue only with one platform.

Yesterday I didn't notice the warning because it wasn't seen on that
platform :-) OMAP4 idle entry and exit in deep state is staggered
between CPUs and hence the warning isn't seen. On OMAP5 though,
there is an additional C-state where idle entry/exit for CPU
isn't staggered and I see the issue in that case.

Actually the broad-cast code doesn't expect such a behavior
from CPUs since only the broad-cast affine CPU should wake
up and rest of the CPU should be woken up by the broad-cast
IPIs.

Regards,
Santosh