[U-Boot] [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 21 18:18:48 EST 2013

Dear Nicolas,

In message <alpine.LFD.2.03.1302211624561.6419 at syhkavp.arg> you wrote:

> No it is not.  FIT is about bundling a multi-platform kernel with a
> bunch of DTBs together in a single file.  I don't think you need that

Actually this is neither the only, nor even the primary purpose of FIT
images; these have a much wider scope of usage scenarios.

> The DT is meant to describe hardware.  As far as I know, the hardware I
> own seems to be rather static and stable, and unlike software there is
> no way I can change it (soldering irons don't count).

There is other hardware available (for example FPGA based) where this
does not apply.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
GUIs  are  virtually  useless.  Learn  tools.  They're  configurable,
scriptable, automatable, cron-able, interoperable, etc. We don't need
no brain-dead winslurping monolithic claptrap.
                               -- Tom Christiansen in 371140df at csnews