[U-Boot] [RFC] Kbuild support for ARM FIT images

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 21 14:57:46 EST 2013

Dear Stephen,

In message <5126778A.4040705 at wwwdotorg.org> you wrote:

> If U-Boot always searched a disk for e.g. /boot/boot.scr or similar and
> just executed that, and there was a standard boot.scr that worked on all
> boards by use of e.g. bootz, ${soc}, ${board}, then that could be
> distro-agnostic too. And life would be simple, without the need for any
> extra build tools at all.

If the world was so simple, we could eventually do that.  But it ain't
so.  Just consider the typical "diskless" system that boots over the
network, using DHCP + TFTP, where the server will provide a single
file only.  Or systems that require sub-second boot times, where you
don't want to spend time in running boot scripts. etc.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
We see things not as they are, but as we are.       - H. M. Tomlinson