[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING 2/3] serial: omap: remove hwmod dependency

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Tue Feb 19 12:43:36 EST 2013

* Felipe Balbi <balbi at ti.com> [130219 09:01]:
> Hi,

> > > Yes - for devices with drivers, it will hopefully be called by the
> > > driver.

> > > In the current design, we might be able to do this during the driver's
> > > first call to pm_runtime_get*().  I think that's the first point that we
> > > can hook into the PM runtime code.
> >
> > Sounds doable and generic for now.
>
> this isn't really a nice way IMHO. You will end up with drivers assuming
> that certain details will be initialized whenever it calls
> pm_runtime_get() for the first time. Then, for devices such as UART
> which, when used as console, will not get pm_domain->runtime_resume()
> called because pm_runtime_set_active() has been called right before.
>
> IOW, this will not work for all cases and very soon we will have bug
> reports.

Some generic way to init this from drivers is needed, I'm out of ideas
here though.

> > > Once the hwmod code is moved out to be a bus, I'm hoping we can do this
> > > through the driver making a dev->bus->enable_device() call - similar to
> > > the way PCI drivers call pci_enable_device(), but not bus-specific.  That
> > > should remove our current dependency on CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME for OMAP devices
> > > to work correctly :-(

> > > It's been a while since I last tabulated this.  But my recollection was
> > > that some kind of IP block-specific reset code is needed for about 7% to
> > > 10% of the OMAP IP blocks.
> >
> > Yes it's not too many, but the issue there is the driver specific code
> > that's duplicated in both places. And sounds like the solution to that
> > is to make driver specific reset code a static inline function in the
> > driver header as discussed earlier so bus code can call it when there's
> > no driver loaded.
>
> this wouldn't work. How would you write a reset for i2c which can be
> called for all instances even when there is no driver loaded ? What
> would be the arguments to such a call ?
>
> If you have something like:
>
> static inline void omap_i2c_reset(int bus_nr);
>
> you would need to keep track of the bus numbers even when there is no
> driver around and if there is a driver, you would have to ask i2c-omap.c
> to track all available instances and convert that number to the proper
> struct omap_i2c pointer. None of those sound like a good plan IMO.
>
> From a driver perspective, we want all our calls to have our private
> structure or a *dev as argument. Those are only avaiable when driver is
> around and anything which doesn't take those as argument will force
> driver to add extra unnecessary churn.

If we cannot find a clean way to reset unclaimed devices without duplicating
driver specific code at the bus level, then let's just assume the drivers
need to probe to reset them even if the device is not used on a particular
board.

> > > One thing that's unclear to me for the DT case is how we'll bind the
> > > driver-specific parts of the reset code to the device, particularly in the
> > > case where there's no driver present.  It should be possible to place an
> > > initcall in the driver-specific header, but that seems like a hack.  Any
> > > thoughts on this?
> >
> > I think we can just initialize the driver-specific reset functions
> > in hwmod code and those can just call the driver specific inline functions
> > as needed in the driver specific header files.
>
> please don't. This will not work as you expect, we will just add more
> special cases to drivers which will be even more complex to maintain.
>
> What you want is a generic reset callback somewhere. For cases where
> there is no driver around, then I'm not sure what to do, but doing early
> reset sounds like a better plan than late reset, so resetting on
> omap_device_build_from_dt() sounds better IMHO, although it concerns me
> cases of -EPROBE_DEFER and what that would mean in the long run...

Well this problem too will disappear if we require the drivers to probe
to reset things properly.

Then the hwmod late_init would just be a printk warning about unclaimed
devices.

In any case, we should not reset things early unless requested from driver
probe. Too many things can go wrong before we have a proper console
available.

Regards,

Tony