A noobish question on mm

Li Haifeng omycle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:38:03 EST 2013

2013/2/19 Soham Chakraborty <sohamwonderpiku4u at gmail.com>:
> Hey dude,
>
> Apologies for this kind of approach but I was not sure whether I can
> directly mail the list with such a noobish question. I have been poking
> around in mm subsystem for around 2 years now and I have never got a fine,
> bullet proof answer to this question.
>
> Why would something swap even if there is free or cached memory available.

It's known that swap operation is done with memory reclaiming.There
are three occasions for memory reclaiming: low on memory reclaiming,
Hibernation reclaiming, periodic reclaiming.

For periodic reclaiming, some page may be swapped out even if there is
free or cached memory available.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Regards,
Haifeng Li