Should a swapped out page be deleted from swap cache?

Li Haifeng omycle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:04:53 EST 2013

2013/2/19 Hugh Dickins <hughd at google.com>

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013, Li Haifeng wrote:
>
> > For explain my question, the two points should be displayed as below.
> >
> > 1.  If an anonymous page is swapped out, this page will be deleted
> > from swap cache and be put back into buddy system.
>
> Yes, unless the page is referenced again before it comes to be
> deleted from swap cache.
>

> > 2. When a page is swapped out, the sharing count of swap slot must not
> > be zero. That is, page_swapcount(page) will not return zero.
>
> I would not say "must not": we just prefer not to waste time on swapping
> a page out if its use count has already gone to 0.  And its use count
> might go down to 0 an instant after swap_writepage() makes that check.

Thanks for your reply and patience.

If a anonymous page is swapped out and  comes to be reclaimable,
shrink_page_list() will call __remove_mapping() to delete the page
swapped out from swap cache. Corresponding code lists as below.

 765 static unsigned long shrink_page_list(struct list_head *page_list,
 766                                       struct mem_cgroup_zone *mz,
 767                                       struct scan_control *sc,
 768                                       int priority,
 769                                       unsigned long *ret_nr_dirty,
 770                                       unsigned long *ret_nr_writeback)
 771 {
 971                 if (!mapping || !__remove_mapping(mapping, page))
 972                         goto keep_locked;
 973
 974                 /*
 975                  * At this point, we have no other references and there is
 976                  * no way to pick any more up (removed from LRU, removed
 977                  * from pagecache). Can use non-atomic bitops now (and
 978                  * we obviously don't have to worry about waking
up a process
 979                  * waiting on the page lock, because there are no