[RFC/NOT FOR MERGING 2/3] serial: omap: remove hwmod dependency

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Sat Feb 16 01:01:21 EST 2013

On Friday 15 February 2013 10:12 PM, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:30:32AM -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> * Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar at ti.com> [130215 05:34]:

>>> It just waste of iospace and Tony insisted to have just single ioremap()
>>> hence all this discussion
>>
>> The main goal is to avoid duplicating data both in hwmod and DT.
>> That's pretty much solved as we can have the driver probe populate
>> the common data for hwmod from DT as Santosh has already demonstrated.
>>
>> Then we also want the driver specific idle and reset code to be done
>> in the drivers rather than in hwmod and glue it together with hwmod
>> using runtime PM. The biggest issue there is how do we reset and idle
>> some piece of hardware for PM purposes when there's no driver loaded.
>
> right, this will be a tough nut to crack.
>
> I guess the only way would be reset all IPs early in the boot process,
> before even creating the platform-devices. Can we do that ? I mean, from
> omap_device_build_from_dt() we have access to address space of all
> devices, through ti,hwmods we can figure out which hwmods are linked to
> that particular device, so whenever you build a device, you could just
> call _reset().

Thats what we do today and it works perfectly. As per Tony's suggestion,
we need to move the non-probed devices reset and idle setup to late_init
which is also doable.

In that case when probed driver calls runtime_get(), we reset that
device and setup the idle settings. And remainder of the devices
are managed in late_init().

> The only problem is that now omap_device_build_from_dt() is called after
> we notify that a new device/driver pair has been registered with the
> platform_bus, right ? So we would still need a way to call _reset() for
> those which are on DTS but don't have a driver bound to them...

The only special requirement for reset remains(which today handled by
hwmod function calls) is for devices which needs specific reset
sequence. And this one can be handled through a runtime_reset()
kind of hook.

Does that sound reasonable ?

Regards,
Santosh