Need advice: unable to mount filesystem

Amit Virdi amit.virdi at st.com
Fri Feb 15 06:55:26 EST 2013

Linus,

I have some more findings...

>> [<20185984>] (kernel_init+0x8/0xe4) from [<20008e98>]
>> (ret_from_fork+0x14/0x3c)
>
> It looks like something is wrong with your initramfs. Check that
> it is really added to the kernel image.

I copied a known good flat filesystem in the flash. Then I appled
patches for my SoC code to Linux 3.3, build the kernel and executed.
Everything went smooth and the kernel successfully mounted the filesystem.

Then, I rebased on v3.4. The new kernel again successfully mounted the FS.

I rebased again on v3.5, again everything went smoothly.

However, when I rebased on v3.6 things started to break. The Kernel
didn't boot at all. The processor generated Synchronous Data Abort
exception because of alignment fault (during read operation). I debugged
the code and noticed that start_kernel ran successfully till the end. It
is the execution of rest_init that generated alignment fault.

Same behavior was observed for v3.7.

However, this problem didn't come with Kernel v3.8-rc6. So, the kernel
execution proceeded further and all the devices were probed and their
drivers loaded. As reported earlier, the Kernel couldn't mount the FS
and is throwing the error:
--
VFS: Cannot open root device "mtdblock3" or unknown-block(31,3): error -14
--

So, as long as there's no compatibility change introduced in the newer
Kernel, I do not suspect the filesystem as such.

It seems something has been broken for MMUless processors.

> I usually use:
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE "your-ramdisk.cpio"
> CONFIG_RD_GZIP

I have verified these for initramfs and these are perfect.

> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_GZIP

However, I'm not using this but this might not be necessary.

> Then pass root=/dev/ram0
>
> But the last should not be necessary I think.
>
> I have a precompiled ramfs here:
> http://www.df.lth.se/~triad/krad/ux00/rootfs-u300.cpio
>
> This is for ARM9 and uses ttyAMA0 as console so it
> probably works with your system if you copy it to your
> kernel build dir and state "rootfs-u300.cpio" as
> initramfs source.

Didn't get chance to try these yet.

Regards
Amit Virdi