ARM big-endian on current kernels for linux-3.8

Ben Dooks ben.dooks at codethink.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 06:18:35 EST 2013

On 13/02/13 10:24, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
> Ben Dooks a écrit :
>>> What is missing from this is the justification about why we need this
>>> additional pain, given that all the supporting userspaces today are all
>>> LE based.
>>>
>>> Sure, I know that telcos have an endless love of big endian and don't
>>> understand anything else, but getting this working on non-telco socs
>>> seems to be a little odd.
>>
>> Our problem is we have some code that works on a lot of big endian data
>> but is not easy to re-build to work on ARM little endian. The current
>> solution is to change to running the system big endian.
>>
>> Unfortunately we cannot just run user-space big endian as the MMU is
>> fetched in the same endian mode as the processor's data.
>>
> Which architecture are you using ?
>
> On armv7 the mmu endian mode is selected by SCTLR.EE [1], but userspace can
> change it's endian with setend instruction [2].
>
> As the endian state is stored in cpsr, it should be preserved across context switch.

Ah yes, I got confused as there is also an endian mode for the page
tables that needs to match the endian mode that the kernel is doing
loads/stores in.

However if we had BE userland with LE kernel then things are going to
get difficult with a BE<>LE syscall issue.

--
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius