[RFC] i2c: Providing hooks for i2c multimaster bus arbitration.

Ben Dooks ben.dooks at codethink.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 05:49:29 EST 2013

On 10/02/13 18:17, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 02:33:15PM +0530, Yuvaraj Kumar C D wrote:
>> This RFC patch is w.r.t multimaster bus arbitration which is already
>> being discussing in the mainline.
>> This patch provides hooks for the i2c multimaster bus arbitration
>> and to have the arbitration parameters.
>
> I still haven't understood why the arbitration specified in the I2C
> standard is not enough for you. Or what you would need to make use of
> it.

I am a little concerned as there is no way to actually lock a bus to
stop another master from transmitting. You can get collisions in a
multi-master environment. Drivers need fixing to deal with collisions
and let the sender know the operation has failed.

--
Ben Dooks				http://www.codethink.co.uk/
Senior Engineer				Codethink - Providing Genius