linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the usb tree

Javier Martinez Canillas javier at dowhile0.org
Tue Aug 27 09:02:16 EDT 2013

[cc'ing Benoit Cousson (OMAP DT maintainer)]

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
<bigeasy at linutronix.de> wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 10:13 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>
>> Today's linux-next merge of the arm-soc tree got a conflict in
>> arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-bone.dts between commit 97238b35d5bb
>> ("usb: musb: dsps: use proper child nodes") from the  tree and
>> commit 63f6b2550aa0 ("ARM: dts: AM33XX: don't redefine OCP bus and
>> device nodes") from the arm-soc tree.
>>
>> I fixed it up (probably incorrectly - see below) and can carry the
>> fix as necessary (no action is required).
>
> You added the OCP node back and the USB nodes as I had them which
> should be fine.
>
> How do we solve the conflict for the merge window? Is it possible for
> the ARM-SOC tree to create a topic branch for this commit?
>
> Greg: I do have a pending pull / patches [0] which also change the dts
> nodes according to the latest feedback + enabling an additional USB
> port in bone.
> If you take this in I could update the nodes later (with the topic
> branch merged) accordingly to the way it has been done in the ARM-SOC
> tree - unless you have other preferences.

I think that the proper way to handle this is to split the patch-set
in two and merge all the OMAP DT related changes
(arch/arm/boot/dts/am*) through Benoit's tree and the USB changes
(drivers/usb/*) through Greg tree to prevent these kind of merge
conflicts.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Javier