pci-mvebu driver on km_kirkwood

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Mon Aug 26 05:27:06 EDT 2013

Hi guys [particularly Jason and Thierry],

sorry for the prolonged silence, here I am back again...

On 08/09/2013 04:01 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:

>>> Indeed, PCI/PCIe devices are enumerated dynamically, so they are not
>>> listed in the Device Tree, so there's no way to "attach" more
>>> information to them.
>>>
>>> Device Tree people, any suggestion about the above question?
>>
>> No, that isn't true.
>>
>> Device tree can include the discovered PCI devices, you have to use
>> the special reg encoding and all that weirdness, but it does work. The
>> of_node will be attached to the struct pci device automatically.

So you mean that, assuming I knew the topology, I could populate the
device tree in advance (e.g. statically), so that it already includes
*devices* which will be further discovered during probing?
Or else you mean the {firmware,u-boot} can do that prior to starting the OS?
If either of the above is true, could you please suggest some example
(or some way to get one)?
I assume the "reg" property (and the after-"@" node name) will need to
encode (at least) the device number, is that right?

I tried reading the "PCI Bus Binding to Open Firmware" but I could not
make complete sense out of it...

>> On server/etc DT platforms the firmware will do PCI discovery and
>> resource assignment then dump all those results into DT for the OS to
>> reference.
>>
>> This is a major reason why we wanted to see the standard PCI DT be
>> used for Marvell/etc, the existing infrastructure for this is
>> valuable.
>>
>> AFAIK, Thierry has tested this on tegra, and I am doing it on Kirkwood
>> (though not yet with the new driver).

Could you please give a pointer to some example of this? I'm not quite
sure I understand what you guys are talking about.

>> It is useful for exactly the reason stated - you can describe GPIOs,
>> I2C busses, etc, etc in DT and then upon load of the PCI driver engage
>> the DT code to populate and connect all that downstream
>> infrastructure.

I'm not 100% sure I made myself clear though.
What I would like to do is to have *other* parts of the device tree be
able to reference (i.e., connect to, through phandles) a PCI device
(because it provides a GPIO, for instance).
Is that also what you mean?

> Obviously this doesn't work in general purpose systems because the PCI
> hierarchy needs to be hardcoded in the DT. If you start adding and
> removing PCI devices that will likely change the hierarchy and break
> this matching of PCI device to DT node.

Yes, I guess in that case (if ever) we would need some other way that
the device number (is that the same as the physical slot?) to specify a
particular "hotplug" device (i.e. maybe a serial number or so)?
But that's definitely out of scope here.

> It's quite unlikely to have a need to hook up GPIOs or IRQs via DT in a
> general purpose system, though, so I don't really see that being a big
> problem.

Agreed.

> Thierry

Thanks again for your patience...