SHMobile Compatibility String Inconsistencies

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Thu Aug 22 20:19:35 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:43:14PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Thursday 22 August 2013 14:46:40 Simon Horman wrote:
> > Hi Laurent, Hi Guennadi, Hi All,
> >
> > Olof has brought to my attention that there is some inconsistency in the way
> > that compatibility strings for SHMobile are named and he has asked us to
> > clean things up for v3.12.
> >
> > Looking through arch/arm/boot/dts/ I see that we have:
> >
> > 1. {gpio,pfc}-r8aXXXX and;
> > 2. r8aXXXX-sdhi
> >
> > The inconsistency that Olof has asked us to resolve is that we should either
> > use r8aXXXX- or -r8aXXXX. Not both.
> >
> > It seems to me that neither option is inherently better than the other
> > so we should just choose the path of least resistance to make things
> > consistent.
> >
> > Laurent, Guennadi, do you have any opinions on if it would be easier to
> > change the GPIO and PFC compatibility strings; or to change the SDHI
> > compatibility strings?
>
> I don't think either of the options would be significantly more complex than
> the other one.
>
> > Ideally I would like you to come to some sort of consensus and send patches.
>
> Shouldn't the consensus be ARM-wide instead of SH-wide ? Quoting one of my
> replies to Stephen Warren from another mail thread:

My understanding from Olof is that it is fine to just make
an SH-mobile-wide decision.

> > In the bindings I've seen, it's more typical for the compatible value to
> > be ${vendor},${soc}-${unit} than ${vendor},${unit}-${soc}. I guess I
> > don't know how common one format or the other is though.
>
> I'm personally fine with both. However, when using a version number, the
> format is ${vendor},${unit}-${version}. As we don't have an IP core version
> number we use the SoC name instead, so ${vendor},${unit}-${soc} would make
> sense. We should probably decide on one of the two alternatives and document
> it.

Ok, so on the one hand ${vendor},${soc}-${unit} is more common.
But on the other hand because we use ${soc} in place of ${version} it
seems there are cases where it would make sense for use to use
${vendor},${unit}-${soc}.

I believe that the second hand trumps the first and we should go with
${vendor},${unit}-${soc} on SH-mobile as that should over all our
use-cases.

Does that sound reasonable to you?