[RFC 3/3] PCI: tegra: Support driver unbinding

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 16:16:24 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 09:21:53AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 04:34 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:

> >> Wouldn't it make sense to do that as early as possible in the
> >> function, to make sure that no MSI accidentally fires after some
> >> of the cleanup has already happened?
> >
> > I don't think that's strictly necessary in this case. After the
> > call to pci_common_exit() there are no PCI devices left, there's
> > not even a bus left. All MSI users should have cleaned up after
> > themselves.
> >
> > Given that I thought it more useful to mirror the setup done in
> > .probe() to make it clearer what's being undone (and potentially
> > what's missing).
>
> That makes sense SW-wise, but what about mis-behaving HW that triggers
> an MSI even when it's been told not to? I assume that
> tegra_pcie_disable_msi() unrequests the IRQ, hence solves that
> problem, if done early enough.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the side-effects that this will have.
tegra_pcie_disable_msi() does quite a bit more than just masking the
interrupts. It also completely removes the IRQ domain that provides the
MSI interrupts. While I haven't tried it yet I can imagine that it will
cause crashes at a later point when drivers want to disable MSI on a
device and the IRQ domain having vanished from underneath.

Thierry