[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] DT maintainer

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Thu Aug 15 12:06:29 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:11:06PM +0100, Rob Herring wrote:
> Other topics I'd like to discuss:
> What's left for ARM consolidation work? What further work needed to
> avoid arm64 duplication?

We'll have a better idea once we see more arm64 hardware. In the
meantime, what I know for sure is that we need a PCIe implementation
that is able to share drivers/host/* code between arm and arm64 (and
possibly other architectures). We had some attempts for more unification
between arm64, powerpc, microblaze, mips
(http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1304.3/00698.html,
http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2013-07/msg00031.html) and
work is ongoing.

> Now that we are moving from just compiling multiple platforms together
> to actually running them, what problems have been run into? Are there
> issues around multi-platform kernels such as kernel size or need for
> additional run-time patching?

If size becomes an issue, the next step for multi-platform could be
compiling as much SoC-related code as possible into loadable modules
that can go into initramfs.

--
Catalin