[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Trustzone-based security solution for ARM Linux

Ard Biesheuvel ard.biesheuvel at linaro.org
Thu Aug 15 04:24:41 EDT 2013

On 15 August 2013 10:05, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 03:45:13PM +0800, Barry Song wrote:

[...]]

>> we will run rtos+linux instead of linux+linux. typically, Auto
>> industry has long history to use rtos. on the other hand, we need to
>> boot the rtos very fast in hundreds of milliseconds to make sure
>> rearview, early audio have been ready.
>
> But Linux is a RTOS, and a really good one at that.  Linux already boots
> that fast, and solves the rearview/early audio issue just fine (I've
> seen it demoed), so please don't think that Linux can't do this.
>
> Again, what is the requirements of this RTOS that prevent you from using
> Linux instead in that "secure" part of the chip?  What do we need to
> change in order to meet this need?

In my experience, there are two similar yet different use cases:
- the desire to co-host a RTOS on the CPU next to Linux, to perform
real-time tasks like software defined radio, fast boot times etc.
- the desire to secure devices using TrustZone, without putting a full
fledged kernel on the secure side due to memory constraints (note that
in many designs, the only secure memory is the on-SoC SRAM)

As the requirements are almost orthogonal, we should not pretend they
are the same thing.