[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Tue Aug 13 21:49:44 EDT 2013

On 08/13/2013 04:32 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 08:50 PM, David Gibson wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 05:26:47PM -0400, jonsmirl at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Alternatively you may be of the belief that it is impossible to
>>> get rid of the board specific code. But x86 doesn't have any of
>>> it, why should ARM?
>>
>> Sure x86 has board specific code.  It's just that x86 basically
>> only has one board - PC.
>>

> That is one aspect (hardware standardization)... but it is more to it
> than that.

I have to deal with lots of embedded / non-PC x86 based systems. Worst one
I encountered so far was a board where the VGA memory space was re-used
for an eeprom. The upcoming next generation hardware I'll have to support
is so far off-standard that I'll probably have to define a new platform
type (similar to OLPC or CE4100).

No, it is not all PC. Not anymore. Intel has started to sell into
the embedded space, where PC compatibility is not a requirement.

Guenter