[Qemu-devel] SCSI bus failures with qemu-arm in kernel 3.8+

Peter Maydell peter.maydell at linaro.org
Tue Aug 13 05:12:59 EDT 2013

On 13 August 2013 09:37, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> Peter says he knows somebody who knows somebody who dug some instance of
> this hardware out of some landfill or something.

No, I personally myself had the hardware. Really.

> Me, I want to get something that works on new qemu _and_ last year's
> qemu, and that's what I got.

Note that in general hoping that current mainline kernel will
always work with ancient QEMU is a losing proposition -- it is
always possible that a kernel improvement will trigger a latent
model bug in QEMU. (To pick a random example, some while ago fixes
to how the kernel dealt with BGR and RGB pixel formats on the
versatile board broke QEMU because we weren't modelling it right;
that was just a QEMU bug for which the fix is "get a newer QEMU".)

The back-compat in the PCI code is so that the older kernels (2.6.x)
will continue to work, which is not quite the same thing.

-- PMM