[RFC 0/1] drm/pl111: Initial drm/kms driver for pl111

John Stultz john.stultz at linaro.org
Tue Aug 6 23:57:41 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> really the same scenario.)
>
>> So then we looked at allocating _all_ buffers with the GPU's
>> DRM driver. That solves the DRI2 single-device-name and single
>> name-space issue. It also means the GPU would _never_ render
>> into buffers allocated through DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB.
>
> Well, I think we can differentiate between shared buffers and internal
> buffers (textures, vertex upload, etc, etc).
>
> For example, in mesa/gallium driver there are two paths to getting a
> buffer...  ->resource_create() and ->resource_from_handle(), the
> latter is the path you go for dri2 buffers shared w/ x11.  The former
> is buffers that are just internal to gpu (if !(bind &
> PIPE_BIND_SHARED)).  I guess you must have something similar in mali
> driver.
>
>> One thing I wasn't sure about is if there was an objection
>> to using PRIME to export scanout buffers allocated with
>> DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB and then importing them into a GPU
>> driver to be rendered into? Is that a concern?
>
> well.. it wasn't quite the original intention of the 'dumb' ioctls.
> But I guess in the end if you hand the gpu a buffer with a
> layout/format that it can't grok, then gpu does a staging texture plus
> copy.  If you had, for example, some setup w/ gpu that could only
> render to tiled format, plus a display that could scanout that format,
> then your DDX driver would need to allocate the dri2 buffers with
> something other than dumb ioctl.  (But at that point, you probably
> need to implement your own EXA so you could hook in your own custom
> upload-to/download-from screen fxns for sw fallbacks, so you're not
> talking about using generic DDX anyways.)
>
>> Anyway, that latter case also gets quite difficult. The "GPU"
>> DRM driver would need to know the constraints of the display
>> controller when allocating buffers intended to be scanned out.
>> For example, pl111 typically isn't behind an IOMMU and so
>> requires physically contiguous memory. We'd have to teach the
>> GPU's DRM driver about the constraints of the display HW. Not
>> exactly a clean driver model. :-(
>>
>> I'm still a little stuck on how to proceed, so any ideas
>> would greatly appreciated! My current train of thought is
>> having a kind of SoC-specific DRM driver which allocates
>> buffers for both display and GPU within a single GEM
>> namespace. That SoC-specific DRM driver could then know the
>> constraints of both the GPU and the display HW. We could then
>> use PRIME to export buffers allocated with the SoC DRM driver
>> and import them into the GPU and/or display DRM driver.
>
> Usually if the display drm driver is allocating the buffers that might
> be scanned out, it just needs to have minimal knowledge of the GPU
> (pitch alignment constraints).  I don't think we need a 3rd device
> just to allocate buffers.
>
> Really I don't think the separate display drm and gpu drm device is
> much different from desktop udl/displaylink case.  Or desktop

Although on many SoCs, aren't the pipelines a bit more complicated?
(ie: camera data -> doing face detection, -> applying filters w/ the
gpu -> and displaying it).

While ION does have interface issues (in that it requires userland to
hard-code particular constraints for that specific SoC) just the idea
of having the centralized allocator that manages the constraints does
seem to make sense for these larger pipelines (and also the fact that
there's different allocation APIs for various devices).

One idea that was discussed in some of the hallway discussions at
connect was if there was some way for the hardware to expose a
"constraint cookie" via sysfs (basically a bit field where the meaning
of each bit is opaque to userland - so each bit can mean a different
constraint on different devices), userland could determine which
combination of devices it wanted to pipe a buffer through, then AND
the device constraint cookies together,  and pass that to a
centralized allocator. This allows the constraint solving to be pushed
out to userland, but also avoids what I see as the biggest negatives
in ION (ie: the heap mask is defined to userland, making it
inflexible, as well as the lack of a method for userland to discover
device constraints, so they're instead hard-coded in userland for each
device).

>> Note: While it doesn't use the DRM framework, the Mali T6xx
>> kernel driver has supported importing buffers through dma_buf
>> for some time. I've even written an EGL extension :-):
>>
>> <http://www.khronos.org/registry/egl/extensions/EXT/EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_im
>> port.txt>
>>

>>> I'm not entirely sure that the directions that the current CDF
>>> proposals are headed is necessarily the right way forward.  I'd prefer
>>> to see small/incremental evolution of KMS (ie. add drm_bridge and
>>> drm_panel, and refactor the existing encoder-slave).  Keeping it
>>> inside drm means that we can evolve it more easily, and avoid layers
>>> of glue code for no good reason.
>>
>> I think CDF could allow vendors to re-use code they've written
>> for their Android driver stack in DRM drivers more easily. Though
>> I guess ideally KMS would evolve to a point where it could be used
>> by an Android driver stack. I.e. Support explicit fences.
>>

> yeah, the best would be evolving DRM/KMS to the point that it meets
> android requirements.  Because I really don't think android has any
> special requirements compared to, say, a wayland compositor.  (Other
> than the way they do synchronization.  But that doesn't really *need*
> to be different, as far as I can tell.)  It would certainly be easier
> if android dev's actually participated in upstream linux graphics, and
> talked about what they needed, and maybe even contributed a patch or
> two.  But that is a whole different topic.

It also couldn't hurt to cc them on these discussions (Rebecca and Erik cc'ed :)

I think Ross covered much of the KMS issues at Linaro Connect (Video
here if you want to spend the time: http://youtu.be/AuoFABKS_Dk), and
indeed, the explicit syncing requirement is probably the biggest
barrier. My understanding is the additional parallelism/performance
that the explicit method provides is the key requirement (though maybe
Erik or Ross can chime in with further details? - I've been told Erik
has a long list as to why explicit is preferred over implicit and it
would be good to get that documented somewhere :)

I understand the implicit model is easier to program for, and Daniel
mentioned dynamic buffer eviction as having a requirement on the
implicit model, so I'm currently in the camp of assuming the
synchronization needs are different enough that one method alone (of
the two currently presented) likely won't work. My current hope is
there's some hybrid approach that can be used (implicitly maybe for
the majority of cases, but with the option of doing explicit syncing
when necessary).

thanks
-john (who's unfortunately heading off on vacation soon, so might not
be fast to reply)