Enable arm_global_timer for Zynq brakes boot

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at linaro.org
Tue Aug 6 12:09:09 EDT 2013

On 08/06/2013 03:18 PM, Michal Simek wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Not sure which site have you found but
>>> it should be just qemu.git
>>> https://github.com/Xilinx/qemu
>>>
>>> or github clone.
>>
>> Ok, cool I was able to clone it.

>> Ok.
>>
>>> This also sound like a very ancient tree.
>>> This is the latest kernel tree - master-next is the latest devel branch.
>>> https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx
>>
>> Ok, cool. I have the right one.

Following the documentation, I was able to boot a kernel with qemu for
the linux-xlnx and qemu-xilinx.

But this kernel is outdated regarding the upstream one, so I tried to
boot a 3.11-rc4 kernel without success, I did the following:

I used the default config file from linux-xlnx for the upstream kernel.

I compiled the kernel with:

make -j 5 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
UIMAGE_LOADADDR=0x8000 uImage

I generated the dtb with:

make -j 5 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- dtbs

For qemu, I started qemu with:

./arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M arm-generic-fdt -nographic -smp 2
-machine linux=on -serial mon:stdio -dtb zynq-zed.dtb -kernel
kernel/zImage -initrd filesystem/ramdisk.img

I tried with the dtb available for the upstream kernel:

zynq-zc706.dtb, zynq-zc702.dtb and zynq-zed.dtb

Did I miss something ?

Thanks
  -- Daniel

--