[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/1] drm/pl111: Initial drm/kms driver for pl111

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Tue Aug 6 10:36:10 EDT 2013

Am Dienstag, den 06.08.2013, 10:14 -0400 schrieb Rob Clark:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Lucas Stach <l.stach at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 06.08.2013, 12:31 +0100 schrieb Tom Cooksey:
> >> Hi Rob,
> >>
> >> +lkml

> >> I agree, DRI2 is the only reason why we need a system-wide ID. I also
> >> prefer buffers to be passed around by dma_buf fd, but we still need to
> >> support DRI2 and will do for some time I expect.

> >> If the display controller is going to be reading from linear memory
> >> I don't think it will make much difference - you'll just get an extra
> >> 1-2 bus transactions per scanline. With a tile-based GPU like Mali,
> >> you get those extra transactions per _tile_ scan-line and as such,
> >> the overhead is more pronounced.

> >> Yeah - I was around for some of those discussions and agree it's not
> >> really an easy problem to solve.

> >> I agree that user-space will know which devices will access the buffer
> >> and thus can figure out at least a common pixel format. Though I'm not
> >> so sure userspace can figure out more low-level details like alignment
> >> and placement in physical memory, etc.
> >>
> >> Anyway, assuming user-space can figure out how a buffer should be
> >> stored in memory, how does it indicate this to a kernel driver and
> >> actually allocate it? Which ioctl on which device does user-space
> >> call, with what parameters? Are you suggesting using something like
> >> ION which exposes the low-level details of how buffers are laid out in
> >> physical memory to userspace? If not, what?
> >>

> > I strongly disagree with exposing low-level hardware details like tiling
> > to userspace. If we have to do the negotiation of those things in
> > userspace we will end up with having to pipe those information through
> > things like the wayland protocol. I don't see how this could ever be
> > considered a good idea.
>
> well, unless userspace mmap's via a de-tiling gart type thing, I don't
> think tiling can be invisible to userspace.

Why is mmap considered to be such a strong use-case for DMABUFs? After
all we are trying to _avoid_ mmapping shared buffers where ever
possible.

> But if two GPU's have some overlap in supportable tiled formats, and
> you have one gpu doing app and one doing compositor, and you want to
> use tiling for the shared buffers, you need something in the wayland
> protocol to figure out what the common supported formats are between
> the two sides.  I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to add a
> standardized (cross-driver) format-negotiation protocol, and in the
> absence of that fallback to non tiled format for shared buffers.

I don't see how tiling format negotiation would be easier in userspace
than in the kernel. If we can come up with a scheme for that, we can as
well do it in the kernel.

> > I would rather see kernel drivers negotiating those things at dmabuf
> > attach time in way invisible to userspace. I agree that this negotiation
> > thing isn't easy to get right for the plethora of different hardware
> > constraints we see today, but I would rather see this in-kernel, where
> > we have the chance to fix things up if needed, than in a fixed userspace
> > interface.
>
> Well, if you can think of a sane way to add that to dev->dma_params,
> and if it isn't visible if userspace mmap's a buffer, then we could
> handle that in the kernel.  But I don't think that will be the case.

I'm sure we can come up with something sane to put it in there. The
userspace mmap thing is a bit complicated to deal with, but I have the
feeling that going through a slow path if you really need mmap is a
reasonable thing to do.
For example we could just make mmap some form of attach that forces
linear layout if the exporter isn't able to give userspace a linear
mapping from a tiled buffer by using GART or VM.

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Lucas Stach                 |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5076 |