[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Describing complex, non-probable system topologies

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Mon Aug 5 05:14:55 EDT 2013

* Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130805 01:56]:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 01:21:38AM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130805 01:08]:

> > > What do you mean by "don't need to care"?  How are these drivers talking
> > > to the device on the bus in the first place?  If these are different
> > > busses, then they are talked to in different ways, right?
> >
> > Let's assume that just ioremap + read/write is needed.
>
> That implies that there is no "bus" at all involved here, so what's the
> problem?  :)

Right, it's all mem mapped. But there can be timings and partitioning
of the area that the "bus" needs to set up.

> > > Any specific examples you have to point to in the kernel today?
> >
> > The one I'm struggling with is the _omap_device_notifier_call
> > that's not currently doing much, but we've been trying to find
> > a clean way to implement runtime PM calls for the bus.
> >
> > There are other examples doing notifiers with platform_bus, have
> > not checked but I'm guessing they have similar needs:
> >
> > $ git grep bus_register_notifier | grep platform_bus_type
> > arch/arm/mach-exynos/pm_domains.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &platform_nb);
> > arch/arm/mach-highbank/highbank.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &highbank_platform_nb);
> > arch/arm/mach-mvebu/coherency.c:                bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type,
> > arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap_device.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &platform_nb);
> > arch/microblaze/kernel/setup.c: bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &dflt_plat_bus_notifier);
> > arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-swiotlb.c:      bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type,
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/beat_iommu.c:       bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &celleb_of_bus_notifier);
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/iommu.c:    bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &cell_of_bus_notifier);
> > drivers/acpi/acpi_lpss.c:               bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &acpi_lpss_nb);
> > drivers/media/platform/soc_camera/sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c:               err = bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &wait.notifier);
> > drivers/net/ethernet/ibm/emac/core.c:   bus_register_notifier(&platform_bus_type, &emac_of_bus_notifier);

> > > What makes them "different"?
> >
> > How the power and clock domains are done and how the clocks are gated
> > or idled. So basically how the devices are reset and idled at the bus
> > level.
>
> I think of a "bus" as the way that a device talks to the hardware (i.e.
> PCI, USB, i2c, spi, etc.)  You are saying a "bus" is something
> different, something that is used to control the "raw" devices that just
> do iowrites.

Yeah. But usually the SoC specific implementation of the above
bus hardware is itself on a mem mapped bus.. That's why we've been using
platform bus.

> Why not just create a bus for your devices, have them register platform
> devices (so you can take advantage of the existing drivers) and have
> your own "platform bus" of a specific type?  The code to do that would
> only need to be created once "per bus", and that way you can handle all
> of the needed reset/idle stuff properly for things "attached" to it.

Hmm yes so do you have an example of such a thing?

> Perhaps we need to get in front of a whiteboard at the ARM mini summit
> and hash this all out...

Sure that would probably help quite a bit.

Regards,

Tony