[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Describing complex, non-probable system topologies

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Fri Aug 2 12:45:30 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 04:26:48PM +0100, Dave Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:14:49PM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > It should be easy to just abstract out your "this is how I write a byte
> > to the hardware" logic to handle the different bus types, if you really
> > are using the same chip/core.  Lots of drivers do this today just fine,
> > it isn't a big deal.
>
> I think the focus here is on high-performance memory-mapped buses, since
> that's where a lot of the complexity lies in a SoC.  Once the bus is
> configured, all buses look much the same at the "how to write a byte"
> level.
>
> The pain points are how the buses are configured, what their capabilities
> are, and how the view of the system (coherency, and addressing and visibility
> of slaves) varies between different bus masters.  These are key things which
> may vary per bus.  DT at least has no real way of describing such things
> right now.

And a simple, concrete example of this is the CCI (Cache Coherent
Interconnect) bus driver that was merged recently (drivers/bus/arm-cci.c).

The CCI supports device-coherency, which the driver exposes via a global
__cci_control_port_by_device symbol. Guess how many callers we have of that
function? Anyway, even if we did have a caller, that function then relies on
CCI-specific properties on the device being made coherent to figure out what
to do, so there's no new bus_type at all -- the linkages are all implicit in
the device-tree binding.

The CCI also has QoS and performance monitoring capabilities exposed in
memory-mapped registers, which aren't touched by the driver (although I have
seen patches for the latter).

Will