[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ARM ATTEND] Describing complex, non-probable system topologies

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Aug 2 10:14:49 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 05:34:45AM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130802 02:37]:
> > On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 02:03:55AM -0700, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > > * Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> [130801 12:33]:

> > > Hmm do you have some example of a device driver that is generic and
> > > is supported on platform_bus and some other bus?
> >
> > Take a look at drivers/usb/host/ohci* for one example that I know of,
> > there are others all through the kernel as well.
>
> Uhh OK so I guess the answer is that the bus glue still needs to
> be implemented separately for each driver and there's no generic
> way of supporting multiple busses?

Different busses implies that there are different ways to physically
talk to the device hardware, so of course there is no generic way to
support that.

Unless your subsystem wants to do what we did for USB, and define a
generic way to talk to the hardware in a very abstract way, allowing for
totally different types of physical layers to handle lots of different
logical layer drivers.  But odds are, you don't want to do that.

It should be easy to just abstract out your "this is how I write a byte
to the hardware" logic to handle the different bus types, if you really
are using the same chip/core.  Lots of drivers do this today just fine,
it isn't a big deal.

thanks,

greg k-h