VIA velocity network driver

Tony Prisk linux at prisktech.co.nz
Sat Apr 27 01:30:15 EDT 2013

I would like to add support to this driver for platform devices as found
on VIA's APC8750 board. At the moment, I have a standalone platform
version that works fine, but wanted to ask a few questions before
sending a patch to merge this code into one driver.

The current driver is for PCI network cards, and uses pci dma functions.
Most of the pci dma functions are wrappers around other functions which
is what I have used for the platform version. For example:

rd_info->skb_dma = pci_map_single(vptr->pdev, rd_info->skb->data,
                     vptr->rx.buf_sz, PCI_DMA_FROMDEVICE);

is replaced with:
rd_info->skb_dma = dma_map_single(&vptr->plat_dev->dev, rd_info->skb->data,
                     vptr->rx.buf_sz, DMA_FROM_DEVICE);

Is it ok to use the non-pci versions (which are basically just the
unwrapped pci versions) and pass the struct device *, or will I need to
use the correct function for the correct instance.

Other than adding some new probe/remove functions, this is all that is
needed to add platform driver support.

One bug/problem that arose is to do with the EEPROM code in
velocity_init_registers(), in the case for VELOCITY_INIT_COLD:

         mac_eeprom_reload(regs);
         for (i = 0; i < 6; i++)
             writeb(vptr->dev->dev_addr[i], &(regs->PAR[i]));

I assume this is loading something from an EEPROM, but there is no
EEPROM on the APC8750. Removing this code, the driver seems to work fine
on the APC8750.
Could it be avoided with a vptr->has_no_eeprom that defaults to 0 to
avoid breaking existing support?

Regards
Tony Prisk