RFC: Unified DMA allocation algorithms

Laura Abbott lauraa at codeaurora.org
Wed Apr 24 17:35:32 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I've been looking at a better way to do custom dma allocation algorithms
in a similar style to Ion heaps. Most drivers/clients have come up with
a series of semi-standard ways to get memory (CMA, memblock_reserve,
discontiguous pages etc.) . As these allocation schemes get more and
more complex, there needs to be a since place where all clients (Ion
based driver vs. DRM driver vs. ???)  can independently take advantage
of any optimizations and call a single API for the backing allocations.

The dma_map_ops take care of almost everything needed for abstraction
but the question is where should new allocation algorithms be located?
Most of the work has been added to either arm/mm/dma-mapping.c or
dma-contiguous.c . My current thought:

1) split out the dma_map_ops currently in dma-mapping.c into separate
files (dma-mapping-common.c, dma-mapping-iommu.c)
2) Extend dma-contiguous.c to support memblock_reserve memory
3) Place additional algorithms in either arch/arm/mm or
drivers/base/dma-alloc/ as appropriate to the code. This is the part
where I'm most unsure about the direction.

I don't have anything written yet but I plan to draft some patches
assuming the proposed approach sounds reasonable and no one else has
started on something similar already.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
Laura