[GIT PULL] omap dss board clean-up for v3.10 merge window

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Wed Apr 24 12:50:05 EDT 2013

* Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> [130424 01:01]:
> On 2013-04-23 20:14, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> [130422 01:37]:
>
> >> So while I think it is a good habit to push the arch changes and driver
> >> changes separately, my question is, should that rule be followed to the
> >> extreme? Can I just keep all the changes in one branch if separating the
> >> arch and driver changes would end up with cloning files or lots of extra
> >> code?
> >
> > Shread branches are just fine. In most cases it's possible to add new
> > pdata and then remove the old pdata later on with follow-up patches.
>
> Yes, that's what I've been doing. But it's not possible in all cases,
> and in some cases it's just really difficult/laborious.
>
> I'll soon need to change the dss panel device model, and the only way I
> can see that would allow us to keep everything running if only arch or
> driver changes are merged, is to create a copy of all the omap display
> drivers, and change the copy for the new dss device model.
>
> And that's obviously a terrible way to do it.

Yes that is the case if you have to completely redo the pdata and
cannot get away by just changing the existing pdata.

> So presuming I need to have the dss changes in separate arch and driver
> series, and everything should run fine even if only the other half is
> merged, then, well, I have no idea how to proceed. I'll continue looking
> at this, but it's a bit frustrating to spend most of my time trying to
> twist the code to accommodate the merging process, instead of making the
> code work.
>
> That said, this dss device model change should be a one time thing.
> After it's done, these merging-problems should be greatly reduced.

Right, if it's more complex than just changing the pdata then what you've
been doing is probably the best approach. Just needs to be done earlier :)

> >> Of course, I don't know what DRM maintainer thinks of merging arch
> >> changes through his tree, so that's also open.
> >
> > No let's not go there, Linus T already complained about the conflicts
> > between drivers/net and arch/arm/*omap*/ code few merge windows ago.
> > We need to remove the driver dependencies to the arch/arm code, otherwise
> > the merging requires way too much work from multiple maintainers. That
> > does not scale well and often leads into merge errors that could have
> > been avoided in the first place.
> >
> > Of course the real solution here is to get things moved over to DT
> > based booting and then we don't have any of these dependencies as the
> > .dts changes can get merged separately from the driver changes.
>
> It will remove compile time dependencies, but we'll still have runtime
> dependencies just like we do now.

Only for adding new features. If the new features are missing from the
.dts changes, the driver should still work with limited features. The
idea is to support DT bindings in the long term.

Regards,

Tony