MVEBU and MVNETA driver

Greg itooo at itooo.com
Fri Apr 19 09:07:40 EDT 2013

Hello All,

This is my first post there, let me introduce myself: I am an embedded
systems designer working in a French ISP. My goal is to design devices
with a minimalistic software package installed that system/software
engineers can use as a base for their work. Said in a few words : I'm
not the kernel expert but I have some knowledge of it.

That being said, I'm currently working with a Marvell ArmadaXP SoC and
I'm performing the transition from Marvell "Linux Support Package" to
MVEBU in the 3.8.8 Vanilla.
Having the system up and running was actually quite easy, Thomas
Petazzoni and his team did a very good job!

I'm facing a problem with ethernet transmission (reception -seems- to be
fine), at best is it slow (~90Mbps), at worst the kernel OOPSes at
various locations dealing with memory (tcp_v4_destroy_sock, free_block
and skb_put seen so far) and ends up crashing right after.
I'm simply using iperf to generate traffic and the system has been
stable for a while with Marvell's LSP so I can say with confidence the
hardware is pretty stable.

My question is fairly simple : before complaining about the network
driver (which might not even be involved in this), what is the starting
point to gather more information about this problem and what data should
I provide you to help you advising me ?

Thank you very much!