Removal of NWFPE in its entirety, and VFP emulation code

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Apr 10 16:03:44 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:23:30PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

> >> That is true for OMAP2 (ARM1136/VFP11) and OMAP3 (Cortex-A8).  OMAP4
> >> (Cortex-A9) and OMAP5 (Cortex-A15) both trap on vector operations.
> >
> > No.  Both OMAP3 and OMAP4 report that they are VFP subarchitecture 3,
> > and the VFP subarchitecture 3 never traps to support code for any
> > instruction (it's the "null subarchitecture" value.)
>
> VFPv3 does not require hardware support for vector operations, and the
> Cortex-A9 NEON TRM [1] says this:
>
>    ARMv7 deprecates the use of VFP vector mode. The Cortex-A9 NEON MPE
>    hardware does not support VFP vector operations. [...] The Cortex-A9
>    NEON MPE provides high speed VFP operation without support code.
>    However, if an application requires VFP vector operation, then it
>    must use support code.
>
> [1] http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0409i/CHDEEJDB.html
>
> The VFP-only TRM [2] contains similar language:
>
>   The use of VFP vector mode is deprecated in ARMv7.  Vector operations
>   are not supported in hardware.  If you use vectors, support code is
>   required.
>
> [2] http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0408i/I1019986.html
>
> The Cortex-A15 TRM [3] follows suit:
>
>   Vector operations are not supported.  Any attempt to execute a vector
>   operation results in an Undefined Instruction exception.  If an
>   application requires VFP vector operation, then it must use VFP
>   support code.
>
> [3] http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0438h/CEGCDBHC.html
>
> In future, if you checked the relevant documentation before making bold
> claims, you might avoid making a fool of yourself.

Oh fuck off, just really fuck off you total dickface.  Really, do you
think that I, being the one who created the VFP support code, haven't
read the VFP documentation?  Christ, you are fucking thick.

Subarchitecture, bits [22:16]
0b0000011
VFP architecture v3 or later with Null subarchitecture. The entire floating-point
implementation is in hardware, and no software support code is required. The
VFP architecture version is indicated by the MVFR0 and MVFR1 registers.
This value can be used only by an implementation that does not support the trap
enable bits in the FPSCR, see Floating-point Status and Control Register
(FPSCR) on page A2-28.

And both OMAP3 and OMAP4 report *this* subarchitecture version.  Maybe
it's you who needs to take a reading lesson instead of making a prat of
*yourself*.