Removal of NWFPE in its entirety, and VFP emulation code

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Apr 10 15:12:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 02:38:21PM -0400, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > 1. Whether we can persuade John to relicense his code.  From what I
> >    understand from the discussions which have already happened, John
> >    is against that because he requires the indemnification clause.
>
> Does it work to have him donate the copyright for the code to the FSF?
> Then he wouldn't own it anymore and wouldn't need indemnification. FSF
> would reissue under GPLv2 since it would be the owner of the copyright
> with the ability to relicense.

I don't know - and I'm not going to be able to look at this anymore until
about a weeks time, by which time this thread will be dead and buried,
and I'll have long forgotten about it...

Even if it is transferred to the FSF, that implies a change to the license,
which the copyright holder(s) would have to authorise.  The problem with
that is, if you read the license, it has been developed as part of a much
larger project, with a grant, and there may be strings attached which
prevent that happening.  I'm not saying it's not worth asking the question
though.