[GIT PULL] ARM: OMAP5: hwmod, prm/cm data files and updates for 3.10

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Thu Apr 4 12:52:09 EDT 2013

* Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar at ti.com> [130404 04:15]:
> + Tero and few more TI folks,
>
> On Thursday 04 April 2013 01:12 AM, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> > Hi Santosh
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
> >
> >> Thes patchset has already missed last couple of merge windows and its the
> >> biggest bottleneck in getting OMAP5 booting from mainline. So I request
> >> you to please have a look it quickly so that Tony can line that up for
> >> 3.10.
> >
> > Looks like there are a few minor issues with the patches based on a quick
> > look.  I'll post those to the list shortly; they should be easy to fix.
> > But those issues aren't my real concern with this series.
> >
> > What's harder to fix are the underlying process issues.  My main concern
> > is that these patches add almost 9,000 lines of code and data.  We've
> > received clear guidance from the upstream ARM SoC maintainers that any
> > significant new additions need to be balanced with moving a similar number
> > of lines of code and data out of arch/arm/{plat-,mach-}* into drivers/.
> > (Or the new patches should be accompanied with patches that show obvious
> > progress towards the goal of moving code and data out of
> > arch/arm/{plat-,mach-}*.)  We need to see more help from TI on the
> > prerequisites for this cleanup process.
> >
> I agree that we are not making faster progress but as part of the
> $subject series itself, for DT only build, we removed around ~4000
> lines of data from hwmod. After the merge window, we can trim
> the AM33XX and then later OMAP4 when it is made DT only support.
> That should give us another 6000 lines of negative diff.
> At the same time removal of MUX data for OMAP4 should be
> around 2000 lines of negative diff.

Can't we already trim the am33xx hwmod data after your patches for
v3.10 as am33xx is already DT only? Unfortunately we cannot create
negative diffstat in other ways for v3.10 merge window as we cannot
make omap4 DT only just quite yet.

FYI, I have some trivial patches here to drop board and mux support for
omap4 once we can make omap4 DT only, so that will be about 3000 lines
of reduction with estimated 1000 - 2000 lines once I go through the
unneeded platform init code for omap4 for things like MMC and USB.

The rest of the clean-up issues I believe we all agree, we just need
to get it done so we can avoid getting flamed for every new SoC for
the huge data files. To fix the data issue for good, it seems that we can
get started moving both the clock and hwmod data to simple drivers
that can get clocks and hwmod data both from DT and /lib/firmware.
It also seems that we don't need to move all the data at once, which
makes the task easier.

Cheers,

Tony