[GIT PULL] ARM: OMAP5: hwmod, prm/cm data files and updates for 3.10

Paul Walmsley paul at pwsan.com
Wed Apr 3 15:42:22 EDT 2013

Hi Santosh

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

> Thes patchset has already missed last couple of merge windows and its the
> biggest bottleneck in getting OMAP5 booting from mainline. So I request
> you to please have a look it quickly so that Tony can line that up for
> 3.10.

Looks like there are a few minor issues with the patches based on a quick
look.  I'll post those to the list shortly; they should be easy to fix.
But those issues aren't my real concern with this series.

What's harder to fix are the underlying process issues.  My main concern
is that these patches add almost 9,000 lines of code and data.  We've
received clear guidance from the upstream ARM SoC maintainers that any
significant new additions need to be balanced with moving a similar number
of lines of code and data out of arch/arm/{plat-,mach-}* into drivers/.
(Or the new patches should be accompanied with patches that show obvious
progress towards the goal of moving code and data out of
arch/arm/{plat-,mach-}*.)  We need to see more help from TI on the
prerequisites for this cleanup process.

For example, as discussed last year with the TI upstream PM team, an
important first step in this process in my view is to get rid of the
direct PRM/CM register accesses in the OMAP PM code.  See commit
c4ceedcb18cf7a06059482a3a1828b9aad9f78cf ("ARM: OMAP2+: CM/clock: convert
_omap2_module_wait_ready() to use SoC-independent CM functions") as an
example of this process.  This should make it easier to get the PRM/CM
functionality into drivers/.  That in turn make it possible to move the
clockdomain, clock, powerdomain, and hwmod code to drivers/.ARM: OMAP2+:
CM/clock: convert _omap2_module_wait_ready() to use SoC-independent CM
functions.  So far as I can tell, there hasn't been any forward progress
on this.

It's also necessary to see more TI contributions in finding and fixing
regressions.  Detecting and fixing regressions from the previous kernel
release should be done first, before working on cleanup series or new
feature/SoC additions.  Looking at the list of v3.9-rc regressions that
I've found, we've gotten very little organized help from TI on dealing
with them.

This in turn robs the maintainers of time that could be spent doing patch
review or further cleanup work, which benefits no one in the end.
Ideally each regression would be assigned to a member of the TI upstream
team, and the whole process could be completed within one or two weeks.

So from my point of view, I'd like to see the following changes before we
accept any new patchsets that add a significant number of lines:

1. Organized help from TI in finding and fixing regressions in the -rc
cycle, with the regressions dealt with before any new feature
pull-requests are sent

2. Help from TI on some of the cleanup work that we've mentioned in the
past, starting with the PRM/CM register access cleanup inside mach-omap2/

3. Pairing any large feature or SoC additions with at least an equal
removal of lines of code

regards,

- Paul