omap cpufreq driver in multi-platform kernels

Eduardo Valentin eduardo.valentin at ti.com
Mon Apr 1 13:20:58 EDT 2013

Hey Paul,

On 30-03-2013 18:21, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Nishanth Menon wrote:

>>> I think the platform_device conversion is the way to go.  I think you
>>> should do that instead of PATCH 8/8 of your OMAP conversion to the
>>> generic driver[1].
>>
>> Yep, thinking about this over lunch, I came to the same conclusion that
>> instead of checking on DT node existance, platform_device conversion
>> will solve both parts of the puzzle.
>
> Looked at this a little today.  I see that the platform_driver CPUFreq
> driver approach was taken with several SoCs in mainline. Could someone
> explain the theory behind making the CPUFreq drivers platform_drivers,
> rather than just modules?
>
> The part that doesn't make sense to me is that the existing CPUFreq
> drivers don't represent an actual hardware block.  Conceptually, they
> aren't drivers for the CPU, nor are they drivers for a CPU frequency
> scaling IP block.  One might as well bind a CPUIdle driver or a CPU
> throttling thermal driver to the CPU device.

I do agree with your point. On the other hand, I'd like to make a
clarification here.

CPU throttling feature not really done as a driver. The feature is
exported to be used by policies built by other code. Check
drivers/thermal/cpu_cooling.c.

Thermal drivers are in fact drivers, as they are bound to an actual
hardware block, a bandgap, a thermal sensor or a thermistor.

> Wouldn't it be best to just make them modules?

Thermal policies are built as modules.