[RFC 00/23] Introducing the TI Keystone platform

Cyril Chemparathy cyril at ti.com
Tue Jul 24 06:41:54 EDT 2012

Hi Will,

On 7/24/2012 5:08 AM, Will Deacon wrote:
> Hi Cyril,
>
> Thanks for this, certainly looks like an interesting platform!
>
> Of course, in order to perform any sort of sensible review, I'll need some
> silicon to test it on :)

We have (so far) been testing this on software simulators, and we have
an earlier version of this code booting up on an FPGA based emulation
platform.

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:09:02AM +0100, Cyril Chemparathy wrote:
>> TI's scalable KeyStone II architecture includes support for both TMS320C66x
>> floating point DSPs and ARM Cortex-A15 clusters, for a mixture of up to 32
>> cores per SoC.  The solution is optimized around a high performance chip
>> interconnect and a rich set of on chip peripherals.  Please refer [1] for
>> initial technical documentation on these devices.
>
> How many A15s can you have on such a SoC? It wasn't clear whether it was 1x4
> or 4x4 from the documentation.

This device has a single cluster of 4 A15s.

>> This patch series provides a basic Linux port for these devices, including
>> support for SMP, and LPAE boot.  A majority of the patches in this series are
>> related to LPAE functionality, imposed by the device architecture which has
>> system memory mapped at an address above the 4G 32-bit addressable limit.
>
> I assume you have *some* memory in the bottom 32-bits though, right? Even if
> it's just a partial alias of a higher bank.

Yes, there is a boot time alias of the initial part of memory in the
32-bit space.  But this alias is somewhat limited in capabilities, and
therefore we do not intend to use it much beyond boot.

>> This patch series is based on the v3.5 kernel with the smp_ops patch set
>> applied on top.  This series is being posted to elicit early feedback, and so
>> that some of these fixes may get incorporated early on into the kernel code.
>>
>>    [1] - http://www.ti.com/product/tms320tci6636
>
> This is marked as `TI confidential' but I guess that's an oversight [or will
> you have to kill me?].

:-)  That is an oversight, I'm sure.

--
Thanks