Devicetree: Initialization order of mmc block devices?

Knut Wohlrab knut.wohlrab at de.bosch.com
Wed Jul 18 05:49:10 EDT 2012

On 07/18/2012 09:23 AM, Jassi Brar wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 11:56, Dirk Behme <dirk.behme at de.bosch.com> wrote:
>> Similar to [1] we have a device which has two mmc block devices connected:
>> One external removable and a second internal hard wired one. Depending on
>> the availability of the external removable mmc card at boot time, the
>> internal hard wired device becomes mmcblk1 (external mmc card available ==
>> mmcblk0) or mmcblk0 if the external one is not there. This order is given by
>> the hardware.
>>
>> With older, non-DT kernels, we used the hack from [2] to control the
>> initialization order and force the internal hard wired device to mmcblk0.
>>
>> Now, we are switching to a newer, DT based kernel. With a DT based kernel
>> this hack doesn't seem to work an more.
>>
>> Any idea how we could influence the initialization order of the mmc block
>> devices using a DT based kernel? Ensuring that the internal, hard wired mmc
>> card is always mapped to mmcblk0?
>>
> Doesn't it work by simply by moving the "internal" element before
> "external" in the array 'struct twl4030_hsmmc_info mmc[]' ?

Thanks a lot for quick response. Yes, the order of MMC devices in the
hardware definition of a board file is a possible solution. But we are
using a device tree file (*.dts) with this definitions:
usdhc at 02198000 { /* uSDHC3, eMMC */
     fsl,card-wired;
     status = "okay";
};

usdhc at 02190000 { /* uSDHC1, SD card */
     cd-gpios = <&gpio1 4 0>;
     wp-gpios = <&gpio1 2 0>;
     status = "okay";
};
The order of the entries doesn't matter. The SDHC controller 1 is probed
first. If a SD card is inserted at boot time, its "mmcblk0", the
embedded MMC (eMMC) device "mmcblk1".  This makes it difficult to give
the kernel the correct device for the eMMC root file system
("root=/dev/mmcblk?p1 ...").

Is there any solution to define a scan order or a MMC device number/name
with a device tree?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Knut