linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the i2c-embedded tree

Lee Jones lee.jones at linaro.org
Tue Jul 17 09:30:01 EDT 2012

On 17/07/12 14:06, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:31:08PM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:
>
>> I agree with what you say to some extent, but I believe that it is
>> more important to have a working solution now than to ensure that
>> each bindings are as unique as possible. After any suggestion of
>> consolidation, a move from vendor specific to generically defined
>> Device Tree bindings is trivial. Especially in the current stage
>> where adaptions and definitions are still fluid.
>
>> Obviously some care is taken to ensure the bindings are as generic
>> as possible, but not to the extent that will put the project back
>> some months. Over past few months I have enabled many sub-systems;
>
> It's not just about having generic bindings, it's also about having
> bindings which have some abstraction and hope of reusability. An awful
> lot of bindings are just straight dumps of Linux data structures into
> the device tree which don't make a terribly great deal of sense as
> bindings.

The Device Tree should supply any platform configuration which the
driver needs in order to correctly setup for a particular machine. This
is exactly what the platform_data structure did before, hence is is
reasonable to assume that whatever information resides in that structure
would be required in the Device Tree.

>> however, I think it would have been a fraction of that if we'd gone
>> through the laborious process of immediate forced consolidation. I
>> think it's fine to have platform/vendor specific bindings that work,
>> then come back to unify them once the dust settles.
>
> In many of these cases we'd be better off just not putting things into
> the device tree in the first place, leaving things at the basic "is the
> device there" stuff.

Then what do you do with the platform data?

--
Lee Jones
Linaro ST-Ericsson Landing Team Lead