Device tree.

Josh Coombs josh.coombs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:32:35 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Ian Molton <ian.molton at codethink.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17/07/12 13:01, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>>
>> You surely want to have a look at CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB, which does what
>> you want and is already part of the ARM kernel.
>

> Hi, and thanks.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding it, thats not quite what I need - although I
> should probably have made my hack depend on it.
>
> I'm using a uImage; The prepending needs to happen to the zImage / Image.
>
> -Ian

CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB sets the kernel up to expect a dtb appended to
the end of the zImage.  Neither make or make uImage do the appending
for you however.  What I've been doing is:

make
make target.dtb
cat arch/arm/boot/target.dtb >> arch/arm/boot/zImage
make uImage
move arch/arm/boot/uImage to wherever it needs to be and try booting

My understanding is you can only append one DTB, there is no
restriction on how many systems a given kernel could support, so at
the moment there isn't a clean way of defining which DTB to append
during make uImage?

Josh C