linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the i2c-embedded tree

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Jul 16 16:04:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 16 2012, Linus Walleij wrote:
>> Uhm, I seem to have missed that bindings are deemed more "flexible" as
>> long as they are coupled to in-kernel dts files? Is that discussed
>> somewhere? I do wonder about it...
>
> Well patches like this are sent out but not commented on from
> the perspective of binding stability. So of course, they get merged.
>
> Have a look at this commit:
>
> commit 7f217794ffa72f208a250b79ab0b7ea3de19677f
> Author: Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>
> Date:   Sun May 13 00:14:24 2012 -0400
>
>     mmc: dt: Consolidate DT bindings
>
> This is deleting custom properties from DTS files without
> adding any code to fallback-support them on old device trees.

I agree with your point, but just as an FYI: this patch did involve
a conversation about binding stability, and left some attributes
(e.g. ti,non-removable) purposefully alone (and different to the
new generic MMC bindings) to preserve backwards compatibility:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.samsung-soc/10409

Thanks,

- Chris.
--