[U-Boot] Where to put a large bootloader-supplied device tree on ARM ?

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Jul 12 17:38:01 EDT 2012

Hi Rob,

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:34:17 -0500, Rob Herring <robherring2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [adding u-boot list]
>
> On 07/12/2012 01:52 AM, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> >> The kernel must go where it is linked *only* if you are using the
> >> 'Image' output.  When using 'zImage' you can put the kernel anywhere in
> >> memory, or in the first 128MB of RAM if CONFIG_AUTO_ZRELADDR is used.

> >> To be exact, the compressed kernel moves itself out of the region where
> >> the decompressed kernel will end up before doing the decompression, but
> >> only if necessary.  So it is a good idea to load zImage away from the
> >> decompressed kernel area to avoid this extra move and save some fraction
> >> of a second on boot time.

> >> This is in case a DTB is appended to zImage.  When the DTB is detected,
> >> the moving of zImage out of the decompressed area must take care of
> >> moving the DTB as well.

> >> A good rule of thumb is to take the size of the decompressed kernel and
> >> multiply this by 3.  Rounding up is also fine.  So for example if your
> >> arch/arm/boot/Image is 5MB, then putting anciliary data such as a
> >> ramdisk or a large DTB from 16MB into RAM or above should be fine.

> >> That's also perfectly fine.
> >

> > Alas, that worked for machines with 512 MiB of main memory, but failed
> > on 1 GiB machines.  My guess is that, when the initrd and dtb are near
> > the top of a 1 GiB memory, the virtual address gets too near the top of
> > the kernel's 1 GiB of virtual space (which starts at 0xc0000000),
> > perhaps colliding with the VMALLOC space.
> >
> > Putting them just below the 128 MiB boundary seems to work.
>
> Interesting. I think this is also a problem on u-boot just waiting to
> happen. u-boot locates itself at the end of RAM and likes to copy the
> fdt and initrd to just below that. Any machine with 1G+ is going to hit
> this. I avoided it because I limited u-boot to 512MB on highbank.

If I'm not mistaken, yes U-Boot loads itself as high as it can, and I don't
know about the FDT, but no, U-Boot does not "like" to load initrd "just
below that": it loads initrd where the boot commands tell it to, and the
boot commands are written by board developers. Nothing in U-Boot forces
initrd to be loaded as high as possible.

That leaves the question of the FDT, though -- I'm not familiar enough
with it (yet) to tell if it is always located just under U-Boot or if
its placement is controllable by board commands.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.