how to specify dma_mask and coherent_dma_mask in hwmod

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jul 4 09:25:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:47:35AM +0000, N, Mugunthan V wrote:
> [...]

Right, so you have two devices here.

You have the Ethernet device, and you have the cpdma device.  The cpdma
device is the device actually performing the memory accesses on behalf
of the Ethernet device.

> For allocating DMA memory space for davinci_cpdma, dma_alloc_coherent is
> used which requires dma_masks to be specified for the device.

So, memory which you allocate for DMA purposes should use the struct
device associated with the cpdma device, not the struct device associated
with the Ethernet device.

That becomes possible when DMA implementations are converted to use the
DMA engine API, and with proper channel virtualization, device drivers
can retain their virtual channel handle (and therefore access to the
DMA engine struct device) indefinitely.