MX28 poweroff issue

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Tue Jul 3 20:13:04 EDT 2012

Dear Russell King - ARM Linux,

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:30:36AM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> > I recently confirmed this issue when doing "poweroff". The issue was
> > initially reported by Detlev Zundel.
>
> My guess is it's because we don't disable interrupts on halt - because
> the kernel used to allow halt followed by another ctrl-alt-reboot to
> cause the thing to reboot.

This I consider correct.

> That's long since gone, so we might as well make the CPU spin endlessly
> waiting for someone to pull the power on halt...

The backtrace signals the problem being caused by timer interrupt. Maybe the
struct sys_timer shall be extended by .exit callback to shut down the timer?

Well, the other option is to disable interrupts, indeed.

Russell, you're the wiser one, therefore shall I submit a patch-attempt that
disables interrupts before the spinning?

Best regards,
Marek Vasut