[RFC] ARM hugetlb support

bill4carson bill4carson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:56:50 EST 2012

On 2012年01月31日 17:29, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 30 January 2012 07:57,<bill4carson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> This patch aims to support huge page for ARM. For now, 2MB(two 1MB page)/16MB
>> huge page are supported, Versatile Express Cortex-A9x4 tile is used as test
>> board. Verifications are running with libhugetlbfs and ltp.
> I haven't reviewed your patches yet but just a few thoughts. Do you
> have a clear case where 16MB super-sections is needed? Do you have
> memory beyond 4G that can only be accessed with super-sections? This
> is an optional feature and not all processors have it.
The initial support only focus on ARMv7 based processor like cortex A9,
basically that's
what I got in my hand, one Versatile Express Cortex-A9x4 tile board.

> It also doesn't
> help much with the TLB hit rate since the micro-TLB most likely only
> support 1MB sections.

I am afraid I can't agree with you on this.
Truly there is no specific statement about whether micro-TLB support
16MB super-sections,
but main-TLB actually helps the hit rate, and main-TLB support all page
size mapping.

> BTW, I have a (simpler) implementation of hugetlbfs with 2MB sections
> but for LPAE only:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/cmarinas/linux-arm-arch.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/hugetlb

Thanks for your information, I will study your code carefully :)

--
I am a slow learner
but I will keep trying to fight for my dreams!

--bill