OMAP3 L2/outer cache enabled in kernel (after being disabled by uBoot)?

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Tue Jan 31 00:21:50 EST 2012

Hi Catalin,

On Friday 27 January 2012 11:00 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:57:11AM +0000, Joe Woodward wrote:
>>> So I re-iterate that we need to have solution to this problem.
>>
>> ... I don't want to be a pain, but it seems to me that this dicussion
>> didn't reach a full conclussion?
>
> Probably not, because it depends on many variables. See below my take on
> this.
>
>> I think it was left with the open options being:
>> 1) Leave the L2/outer cache enabled in the bootloader (not ideal and
>> may cause problems with future devices)
>
> This depends on whether the L2 is inner or outer:
>
> L2 inner - leave it enabled in the boot loader
> L2 outer - leave it disabled in the boot loader
>
>> 2) Turn the L2/outer cache on for OMAP3 later in the kernel boot when
>> the device is known
>
> Same as above:
>
> L2 inner - don't do anything, it gets used when SCTLR.M is enabled
> L2 outer - enabled at boot time via the platform code (later, after MMU
> 	was enabled).

What is the reasoning behind this recommendation? Why the distinction
between L2 being inner or outer. I don't see anything to this effect in
the Cortex-A8 TRM? In fact the only recommendation I could find(section
8.3) is asking to set L2EN to 1 before setting C bit to 1 irrespective
of inner/outer?

br,
Aneesh